A denture or a complete denture as it is often called, is an appliance that is inserted in the mouth, replaces natural teeth and provides support for the cheeks and lips.
Most dentures are made of acrylic and can be fabricated two different ways.
- A conventional denture is made after all teeth have been extracted and the tissues (gums) have healed.
- An immediate denture is fabricated and inserted immediately after the teeth are extracted and the tissues are allowed to heal under the denture.
- An upper denture has acrylic, usually flesh colored, that covers the palate (roof of the mouth).
- A lower denture is shaped like a horseshoe to leave room for the tongue.
The teeth are made of plastic, porcelain or a combination of both. Dentures can be fabricated to fit over endodontically treated teeth and a complete denture can be attached to dental implants to allow for a more secure fit of the appliance.
Dentures over a normal course of time will wear and need to be replaced or relined in order to keep the jaw alignment normal. The alignment will slowly change as the bone and gum ridges recede or shrink due to the extraction of the teeth. Regular dental examinations are still important for the denture wearer so that the oral tissues can be checked for disease or change.
For more information about Dentures or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Latthe:
- Call us at The Woodlands Prosthodontics Office Phone Number 832-966-0400.
- Fill out our Appointment Form.
The Woodlands Prosthodontics
Patient Review by Edna S
Everyone was so nice & friendly. Best of care ever
- Edna S
Patient Review by Ray R
We are moving out of the area. But we will gladly make the almost 2 hour drive back to this office for our family's continued care. Dr. Latthe will be our doctor for as long as he's in business.
- Ray R
Patient Review by Kim B
I have been very scared to go to a dentist after experiencing a bad one years ago. I first called and talked to the receptionist there named Dottie. I love her!! She is so great and nice, made me feel so comfortable and excited to come see them! I am so glad I did!! Dr. Latthe was so wonderful and AMAZING!! He talked to me and made me feel comfortable!! I highly recommend their office!! Thank you so much for making me feel right at home and will never forget the kind words and encouragement y’all made me feel just being there!!
- Kim B